Thursday, May 25, 2006

In Praise of Plodding

Gary's comment on our first post (below) is so fitting. It coincided with me beginning to read S. Pearce Carey's biography of William Carey. Since childhood Carey has been a hero to me, and its so refreshing to reread the life of 'the father of the modern missions movement' - particularly in the light of our forthcoming trip.

A quote from Carey just yesterday morning really touched me. It shows the humility which lay behind the greatness of this man of God, and touches on a theme which God is challenging me with at the moment - perseverance and finishing well in the Christian life.

'I can plod and persevere. That is my only genius. I can persevere in any definite pursuit. To this I owe everything'

As we consider going to see the work of mission first hand in Peru, we're looking forward to witnessing the dynamic effect of those who are persevering and plodding in the service of their Master. Carey's 'only genius' reaped rich rewards, and is most definitely worthy of imitation!

Andrew

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too have been really challenged by reading the life of William Carey. Look forward to hearing news of your plodding around Peru.
Hope you have a great time!

Thursday, 25 May, 2006  
Blogger Family Blogs said...

Thanks for your comment Ian - and thank you so much for all of your help with our plans and preparations.

We're continually upholding you in prayer

Friday, 26 May, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home